Pearl Academy collaborates with maximum security prison Tihar to empower inmates
Giving hope to rebuild the lives of inmates after prison, Pearl Academy inaugurated a state of the art fashion laboratory for the women inmates of Tihar early this year.
Pearl Academy collaborated with Tihar for the Tihar Art Festival for the following events in the month of August & September 2017.
- Pearl Academy participated as creative partner for the Tihar Art Festival.
- Pearl Academy developed a creative docket for branding of Tihar Art Festival for Tihar Jail. ‘Swikriti’ which means acceptance was the logo of the event. The creative docket comprised of the following-
I. Event logo
II. Event Backdrops
III. Event Posters
The logo was conceptualized and developed by the communication design students of Pearl Academy.
- The importance, know-how and product specific packaging was taught to the inmates of Tihar by conducting a packaging workshop. The workshop was conducted by the communication design faculty of Pearl Academy.
- To capture the objective and the impact that this initiative has had on the inmates, Pearl Academy students and faculty created a 3 minutes documentary on the Pearl Fashion Lab at Tihar and the collaboration which was showcased at the convocation ceremony.
- Along with this, the garments constructed by the inmates at the Pearl fashion Lab at Tihar and designed by the students of Pearl Academy, specially abled children from NGO Tamana walked the ramp showcasing them on 26th August 2017.
- Pearl Academy set up an installation at the Lalit Kala Academy, Delhi. The installation consisted of over 300+ origami birds which were created by the inmates of Tihar and students of Pearl Academy. The inmates at Tihar were given a workshop on origami by the faculty and students of our School of Foundation. The installation garnered many praises from artists.
Extending the support to this unique initiative aimed at skilling and hence empowering the women inmates, the first ever Convocation Ceremony for the first graduating batch of the “Pearl Fashion Laboratory” was conducted on 9th September’17 at Dilli Haat, Janakpuri. The event was graced with the presence of eminent personalities such as Ms. Swati Jaihind (Chairperson, Delhi Commission for Women), Shri Kailash Gahlot (Minister of Law, Justice and Legislative Affairs), Shri Vinai Kumar Saxena (Chairman, Khadi and Village Industries Commission), Bollywood celebrities-Mr. Imran Zahid and Ms. Padmapriya.
A fashion show and a cultural performance were put together by students and inmates at the event. The Fashion show showcased garments which were designed by Pearl students and constructed by the women inmates who were trained at the Pearl Fashion Lab. The Convocation ceremony saw a total of 18 inmates graduate to motivate them to utilize their newly learned skills to embark on a new journey post their release from Tihar.
Around The World