BALCO continued COVID-19 preparedness efforts reach over 5 lakh community members
The company has undertaken extensive steps inside and beyond operations to ensure that the Korba citizenry is equipped to respond to COVID-19.
Bharat Aluminium Company (BALCO), a global leader in aluminium, has touched over 5 lakh people in Chhattisgarh, working with various stakeholders to roll out various health and safety measures safeguard employees, business partners and communities against COVID-19. The company has undertaken extensive steps inside and beyond operations to ensure that the Korba citizenry is equipped to respond to COVID-19.
Speaking about the company’s efforts, Abhijit Pati, CEO & Director - BALCO said: "At BALCO, we are working with our partners and stakeholders towards socio-economic prosperity of our country. We have and will continue to extend all support and cooperation to the district administration and public representatives during the pandemic. As we leverage digital technologies and innovation in our operations to adapt to the new normal, we are also working with the peripheral community, helping them sustain through these trying times.”
Dicson Masih from NGO Srout, which is working towards community development in Korba area, appreciates BALCO's commitment towards keeping the communities safe during the pandemic. He said, “BALCO has extensively supported the local communities with safety kits, dry ration and meals for the needy, and helped them sustain their livelihoods through their skill development programs and agro-based livelihood project Unnati Fresh”
Looking at the evolving COVID scenario at Korba, BALCO has initiated new programs towards empowering the community:
· Post-lockdown, to cater to the urgent demand for personal protective equipment (PPE) for frontline workers like healthcare professionals, police personnel and community volunteers,
· BALCO worked with local women’s self-help groups associated with its 'Unnati Project' to produce thousands of masks, gowns and caps. More than 50 women got livelihood opportunity, increasing their household income during the crisis time.
· Around 50000 reusable masks have been distributed to vulnerable masses in the vicinity.
· 5000 PPE. kits, 1500 sanitizer bottles and 12500 surgical masks were made available to the local community and hospitals.
· A daily health screening report is sent by BALCO Hospital to the Korba District Hospital and Chief Medical and Health Officer.
· Thousands of BALCO employees volunteered to contribute one day's salary towards PM care relief fund for COVID-19.
· One month's ration was also given to old age homes and hundreds of families who lost their source of income during the lockdown.
To support hundreds of local farmers across 10 villages, BALCO opened an agriculture input center in Korba’s Chuiya village. The center will serve as a single point for villagers to source farming inputs like seeds and insecticides at affordable rates.
On plant side, to amp up security, BALCO has setup a high-end Centralized Security Operations Centre (CSOC), which doubles as an Emergency Control & Command Center for monitoring the plant and township and help employees during exigencies. The center has been instrumental in maintaining effective communication during COVID-19 relief work. From keeping track of manpower movement inside the plant premises to being able to trace the movement of people coming from other districts/states.
Around The World