5 brands with brilliant experiential strategies
The basic idea of experiential marketing is to trigger the emotions and rationality in the prospect’s mind so that he/she gets the taste of the brand resulting in a purchase. In today’s fast moving competitive world,brands want to connect with the individuals and instill their brand’s identity in their minds. And to do that, they come up with creative strategies and techniques to create dynamic brand impressions. With outstanding strategies, it has become quite evident that these brands aim to create not only brand awareness but also strive for brand loyalty.
Here at EE we pick five brands that have adopted stellar experiential strategies that have clearly worked for them.
1. Coca Cola has very well incorporated the notion that brands need to deliver something that can grab the attention of its potential consumers, create a recall value and retain it in the long run in the back of their minds. Riding on emotions and creating happiness in almost all of its experiential campaigns, Coca Cola has marvelously stirred the emotional quotient of people worldwide. One of the finest examples being the Hello Happiness Phone Booth.To give labourers in the UAE a few extra minutes of happinesson the eve of Eid, Coca-Cola designed the Hello Happiness Phone Booth: a phone booth designed to accept Coca-Cola bottle caps instead of coins for a free 3-minute international phone call, exploring the experiential space but keeping the sentiments intact at the same time. Despite political tensions between the two nations, another campaign was carried out in India and Pakistan. By installing vending machines Coke provided a live communication portal between people in India and Pakistan and showed that what unites us is stronger than what sets us apart.
VenkateshKini, President, Coca-Cola, India and South West Asia believes “A good story is one that spreads, has an emotional connect and serves a higher purpose. Brands nowadays need to connect with their audience using human emotions. They have to appeal to a purpose that is higher than them.”
Coca Cola through its Coke studio and other magnificent campaigns in several countries has proved that the strongest arm of experiential marketing is by arousing positive emotions amongst its target consumers. It is therefore one of the top notch brands that seem to truly understand the potential of experiential marketing as a way to create conversations with consumers and build trust.
2. Red Bull is one of the strongest experiential players in the industry. Pretty much everything Red Bull does is based around experiential marketing, from its Air Race, to its F1 team, to its extreme sports events. That’s not enough when it comes to music events to Air Drops at Colleges and much more. More or less jaunting on the idea of connecting with their potential buyers by building strong connect through adventurous activities, Red Bull is gracefully touching the hearts of many.
Red Bull builds connect through its daring yet interactive experiential campaigns and hence trigger the adventurous quotient of its consumers. Through its campaigns it has aroused the elements of surprise, fun, excitement and sporty amongst many. One such example was the Red Bull Quila Surf that gave adventure lovers the thrill of kite surfing. This sport was a unique combination of surfing and paragliding and thus instilled the energetic fervor in its attendees.
As a brand, Red Bull seems to be synonymous with culture and extreme sports that range from kite surfing, snowboarding, mountain-biking to paragliding, and many more. From its inception, the brand has built a sturdy brand connection with its potential audience of young men and women, through its active association with sports and culture. Red Bull aims at promoting various unexplored sports in the country through its associations.
3. Heineken, a forerunner in experiential in the alcohol category, with time has continued to investaggressively in the experiential marketing space. Starting from Heineken Foosball League to Heineken Share the Sofa to the Heineken’s crazy destination roulette, Heineken is on a toll.
Samar Singh Sheikhawat, Senior Vice President Marketing, United Breweries Limited, believes “Creativity, spontaneity and wit are core values of Heineken, best encapsulated in the brand’s tagline open your world.
Also by setting up Heineken music lounges and associating with several music gigs and sports, Heineken manages to extend its arms in all genres of activities. With their idea of keeping their customers fresh and excited, this alcohol brand has carried out several activities. Being an alcohol brand, demography is not an obstacle for them. Heineken thus tends to target both youngsters and elderly people with their engaging activities.
Their strategy says “As an industry leader, Heineken wants to contribute to the positive role of beer in society, by making moderation drinking aspirational for consumers. We believe that we can be more effective in encouraging positive behavior by utilizing our creativity and communicating the message of responsible drinking in an engaging and relevant way”.
4. Tata being one of the leading automobile giants in the country has efficiently established itself in the experiential marketing space. Consumers in the present times are craving for real experiences and understanding their penchants and needs becomes paramount to stay ahead in the game. Tata invested in India’s first ever truck racing championship- ‘T1 Truck Racing Championship’. Unlike other general heavy vehicles, these trucks were worth a glance!
T1 Prima Truck Racing Championship served as a great platform for Tata Motors to demonstrate their strong heritage and experience in the trucking business, and participation in motor-sports became a great way to showcase their technology, global quality, along with the reliability and safety of Tata’s products.
With its strategy of showcasing technical prowess and wanting to bring a change in the outlook of trucks among youngsters, Tata made a commendable attempt. Tata has taken a step for itself to grow within the realm and has set a platform for other heavy vehicles brands to contemplate on the idea of truck racing in India. Another Tata entity: Tata Housing through its campaign: Spain to Spain, brought to life the Mediterranean lifestyle at the site and provided the visitors with a true cultural experience of Spain.
5. Puma is another brand that is very active in the experiential market domain. Launched in India in 2005, the brand has been able to create a niche for itself in the competitive sportswear market which for a long time has been ruled by brands like Nike, Adidas and Reebok.
Rajiv Mehta, MD Puma, India says, “Puma is positioned as a sports lifestyle brand, and it resonates the brand ethos of joy and fun while simultaneously driving home the point of staying fit. We are a serious running and high-performance brand but our products looks great as well – and allow you to be the best and perform at your highest level. Our products are competitive but fun – just like Puma Urban Stampede.”
Being a sportswear brand it becomes all the more logical for them to associate with sports events and Puma has proved to be one of the top sportswear brands in the realm of experiential marketing. When several brands were running for sponsorships of marathons to catch attention, Puma went out of the box in its strategies to create a property of its own called the Puma Urban Stampede. This initiative came into existence with the philosophy of introducing running to people who were fitness-conscious but are leading busy lifestyles, the idea of a corporate relay race took shape. Companies could nominate their employees to participate in a race where they were asked to run a distance that needed only a month’s training. Thus, the concept of four people, running 5km each, came to life.
It is believed that if a branded event manages to stir positive emotions in people they are more likely to associate with that brand. This encourages brand recall and strengthen the possibility of sales further down the line. With the experiential contribution of the above mentioned brands it seems that they strongly believe the same.
Around The World