3rd Edition of The Media Rumble to discuss gender, caste and community representation in newsrooms
One of South Asia’s premier journalism forums, the 3rd edition of The Media Rumble (TMR) is scheduled to take place between August 2nd and 3rd, 2019, at the India Habitat Centre, New Delhi
One of South Asia’s premier journalism forums, the 3 rd edition of The Media Rumble (TMR) is scheduled to take place between August 2nd and 3rd, 2019, at the India Habitat Centre, New Delhi. Conceived by India’s leading independent news media platform Newslaundry, and produced by pioneering entertainment and arts company Teamwork Arts, The Media Rumble 2019 brings global and local perspectives in a specially curated two-day news forum featuring panel discussions, talks, workshops, masterclasses and film screenings.
The forum revolves around the three-sixty degrees of news with discussions on various issues relevant to contemporary journalism such as the largely unexplored theme of gender and caste representation in newsrooms, environmental journalism, ownership of news organisations and the challenges therein, political cinema, importance of public healthcare reportage, dissecting the #MeToo tsunami and other topics. Two specially commissioned reports on gender, caste and community representation in the Indian media will be unveiled at the forum. Commenting on the third edition of the forum, Newslaundry’s Editor-in-Chief and Co-Founder, Madhu Trehan said, “Media, technology and business. All three cannot do without each other.
Journalism cannot function today without the use of technology. There is no future for both journalism and technology unless it can become a business that can fund and make it selfsustainable. At The Media Rumble we bring journalists from print, television and the Internet to discuss and debate the raging issues that our profession faces. This is our third Media Rumble and every year it brings up the new challenges we face. There are no less challenges facing the techie experts and those in the business of news.
At The Media Rumble you will get a chance to listen, question and engage with over 70 journalists, techies, and business persons from all over the world. So, come Rumble with us!” Sanjoy K. Roy, Managing Director, Teamwork Arts, said, “The Media Rumble is known for bringing pioneers of different fields of the media industry under one roof to discuss and share best practices, exchange ideas and deliberate on the state of news in today’s rapidly evolving media universe. This year we have a line-up of eminent names and an array of thought-provoking sessions that celebrate excellence in news reportage, challenge existing norms, create a space for dialogue and debate and allow media professionals to come together in a one-of-a-kind forum.” The 2019 edition of The Media Rumble brings together news professionals, journalists, tech innovators, investors and policy makers from diverse geographies as well as varied news cultures to discuss, debate and explore the future of news.
Confirmed speakers include –
• Aroon Purie is the Editor-in-Chief and Chairman of the India Today group and serves on the management board of the International Federation of Periodical Publishers (FIPP). Managing director of Thomson Press, he was awarded the Padma Bhushan for his stellar contribution to Indian journalism in 2001.
• David Usborne joined The Independent at its founding in 1986 as a foreign correspondent and investigative reporter, and was its US Editor from 2009 to 2016. He has contributed to CNN, ABC, NBC, and the BBC and has written investigative pieces for Esquire and Monocle and has been a runner-up as UK Foreign Correspondent of the Year and shortlisted for the George Orwell Prize.
• Govindraj Ethiraj is a television and print journalist who has reported and written on Indian business for over 25 years. Most recently, he founded BOOM (www.boomlive.in), a fake news busting initiative that tracks and debunks viral hoaxes in real time. He also founded the award-winning IndiaSpend (indiaspend.org), a public interest journalism outfit, and factchecker.in.
• Gulzar, one of India’s most celebrated and venerable writers, poets and lyricist, has won numerous awards including – the Padma Bhushan in 2004, the third-highest civilian award in India, a Sahitya Akademi Award, the Dadasaheb Phalke Award — the highest award in Indian cinema, several National Film Awards and many Filmfare Awards, an Academy and a Grammy Award.
• Jawhar Sircar has served as India’s secretary for Culture for nearly 4 years and was appointed as CEO, Prasar Bharti in Feb 2012. He has served on the board of professional media bodies like the Media Research Users Council and the Public Service Broadcasting Trust. Jawhar Sircar is currently Chairman of India's premier Centre for Studies in Social Sciences.
• Jen Poyant spearheaded the first Werk It Festival, WNYC’s annual conference that supports women’s growth in audio. Co-founder of Stable Genius Productions, she identifies, nurtures, and collaborates with on-air talent to create groundbreaking podcasts. As WNYC Studios’ Executive Producer, Jen developed Note to Self and other hit shows including 2 Dope Queens.
• Josy Joseph, an award-winning journalist based in New Delhi, was the National Security Editor of The Hindu. He has been Editor, Special Projects for the Times of India, an Associate Editor with the DNA, and has also been with Rediff.com, The Asian Age, Delhi Mid-Day, and the Blitz. Some of his high-profile investigations have included, for example, the Mumbai Adarsh Housing scam and the many misdeeds in the run-up to the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.
• Mariam M. Mathew is the Chief Executive Officer of Manorama Online, the digital media operations of the Malayala Manorama group. Before joining Manorama, she was Vice President at J.P. Morgan Chase in New York. Prior to this, she was a Senior Consultant at the Management Consulting Center at Chase Manhattan Bank in New York, where she specialised in management consulting for e-businesses.
• Maziar Bahari is an Iranian Canadian journalist and filmmaker. He has produced a number of documentaries and news reports for broadcasters around the world including the BBC, Channel 4, HBO, Discovery, Canal+ and NHK. A retrospective of Bahari’s films was organized by the International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam in 2007.
• Milind Khandekar, currently Digital Editor, India, at the BBC, is a multimedia journalist with vast experience in digital, broadcast and the print media. He was Managing Editor at ABP News Network till August 2018 and helped to launch the Bangla ABP Ananda and the Marathi ABP Majha. MEDIA RELEASE
• Prakash Raj is a versatile, multilingual actor, director and producer. A few years ago he began the Prakash Raj Foundation and became actively vocal about the political scenario and happenings in the country after his friend and renowned journalist Gauri Lankesh was brutally killed. In 2018, he began a movement called 'Just Asking' to create awareness among citizens and encourage them to start posing questions and fighting for their rights to voice how the country functions. He contested 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
• Pratik Sinha is the co-founder of altnews.in, a social media and mainstream media watchdog website. He is also a member of Ahmedabad-based civil liberties organisation Jan Sangharsh Manch.
• Prayaag Akbar’s debut novel Leila won the Crossword Jury Prize in 2018 and the Tata LitLive Award for Debut Fiction in 2017. His novel is being developed into a series by Netflix. He is a Senior Fellow of Krea University.
• Priya Ramani is a contributing editor at Vogue and writes a weekly column for Mint. In her career spanning more than 20 years, she has worked as an equities reporter at Reuters, and has been the editor of Cosmopolitan, Elle and the Indian Express.
• Samir Saran is the President of Observer Research Foundation, one of Asia’s most influential think tanks. He writes frequently on India’s foreign policy, and issues of global governance, climate change, energy policy, global development architecture, Artificial Intelligence, cyber security and internet governance. Samir curates the Raisina Dialogue, India’s flagship platform on geopolitics and geo-economics, and chairs CyFy, India’s annual conference on technology, security and society.
• Shekhar Gupta is Founder and Editor-in-Chief of ThePrint, a digital start-up building a new editorial space of non-hyphenated liberalism. He is a prolific columnist, with the highly influential column ‘National Interest’, which is translated into seven languages. A recipient of the Padma Bhushan, Shekhar hosts Off the Cuff – an offering from ThePrint and also hosts ‘Walk the Talk’ on NDTV 24x7.
• Siddharth Varadarajan is a Founding Editor of The Wire. He was earlier the Editor of The Hindu and is a recipient of the Ramnath Goenka Award for Journalist of the Year.
• Swara Bhaskar, a favourite among audiences and critics alike, has acted in critically acclaimed movies, like Nil Battey Sannata and Anaarkali of Aarah. She won the Screen and Zee Cine Awards for Best Supporting Actor (Female) for her portrayal of ‘Bindiya’ in the super hit film Raanjhanaa (2013) and the Zee Cine Award in the same category for her role as ‘Payal’ in the crowd puller Tanu Weds Manu (2011).
• Vivian Schiller is the CEO of Civil Foundation, an independent not-for-profit committed to the sustainability of trustworthy journalism around the world. Vivian has held a number of executive roles in the media industry. She was the Global News Chair at Twitter, former Senior VP & Chief Digital Officer, NBC News and former President and CEO of National Public Radio (NPR). Schiller is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations; and a Director of the Scott Trust, which owns The Guardian.
Bringing together global best practices in journalism, the 3rd edition of TMR features eminent media practitioners from India and international speakers who have never spoken in India. Attendees have the opportunity to witness uninhibited discussions among media stalwarts and engage in dialogue and debate during sessions.
More information on speakers is available on http://themediarumble.com/speakers
Around The World